Thursday, October 29, 2009

Youth and Ethics

I found the 10/21 lecture very interesting, specifically the details surrounding the young reporter who was presented with the crack cocaine story assignment and followed an illegal path in pursuit of the coverage. I agree with the final decision to terminate his employment because he was not forthcoming and didn't know right from wrong until his friend pretty much left him no choice but to be honest with the paper's management team. I was in the midst of a financial ethical situation in my early twenties. The Controller was fired, then the Director of Accounting quit and lastly the CFO was fired. I was at the time the lead accountant and the only reason I wasn't fired is because I was honest and wasn't trying to cover up what financial mis-management had taken place. I think this is a common occurence as young people enter into fields where there is new ground and rules they are unfamiliar with. But through these early trials, your character will always come through.

href="<$BlogItemURL$>">
<$BlogItemTitle$>

1 comment:

Michael Sweeney said...

You've just really, really got to hope that those early trials are engaging in a crack deal; or something else of that criminal a nature.