Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Hacks hooked on Facebook

I am sure this is going to be the hot topic of the day, so I figured I would get the ball rolling. I would like to start off by saying that it is 9:04 am and I am at work. I do not feel however that my name, photo and salary information should be released to the public because I am using work hours or my work computer to do something other than work. Do I feel that she was right to post that she was napping during meetings, no, but if there is some downtime in the office, and her manager is ok with her updating her facebook status, I do not see any harm in this.

I find it hard to believe that no one has at work; made a personal phone call, typed a personal e-mail, paid a bill, shopped on the interned or read and forwarded a joke e-mail. I will admit I'm guilty, but does that mean I am not good at my job, or I am not completing my work in a timely manner. No, it doesn't, and if you are reading this during work hours, you are just as guilty.

I do believe that there is a story here. If taxpayer money is being abused to pay for employees who are not doing their job, and have so much downtime that they are constantly playing on the internet, than something needs to be done. However, I also believe that by taking a 5 minute break here and there to relax, vent, distress and get back to work, makes for a much healthier work environment. I believe that this story still could have been released with out the names and photo's. If their management does not feel it is necessary to seek disciplinary action against these employees, why should they be publicly humiliated, and opened up for public retaliation. What is now preventing me from going on facebook and writing this girl a nasty e-mail?

4 comments:

Deana Ste. Marie said...

Could you post a link.... I missed this? What exactly happened?

Michael Sweeney said...

It sounds like he's criticizing the actions of the media for publishing the names of workers in tax-paid funded jobs who are compensated for large amounts of downtime.

I have to completely disagree. If 30% of my check (sub contracted) is being taken from me when I could definitely be using that money, and it is going into the paychecks of people leeching off of my work.

If nothing is being done about this, why not use the newspaper as a tool to control the government? That's the point, right?

Amar Singh said...

Living in London, I do not know the exact story you are referring to but here is a link to an article in the same vein of your post:

http://mashable.com/2009/08/10/social-media-misuse/

Looking at what you posted it seems the person at fault is fairly innocent compared to those who slander their own employers on social media sites. It is unethical for a journalist to humiliate and use the names of employees whilst writing such articles, mainly for those who are not posting derogatory remarks about their company. At the same time with the employee mention the story is ten times bigger as this paves the way for a more specific debate regard the exact people involved, I would still not publish the names of such employees knowing their jobs could be lost.

Jeanette said...

I think the reporting was effective on this story. While I agree with the premise that everyone needs a break during the day to refresh themselves, whether it is writing some personal emails over lunch at their desk or taking a walk and calling someone on their cell mid-day, the goal of reporting is to inform the public including bringing to light things that people need to know. And I do agree with Michael that employee theft of time is a big issue. It was a big issue when photos were taken of big dig workers sleeping in their equipment on a publically funded job and it is a big issue when an office worker is stealing time that our tax dollars are paying for. Controls are put in palce for a reason, to keep the honest people honest. The state should do what my company did and put a sysmte control in palce so that socail networks can not be accessed through company computers. What this means for us is, if it important to update your Facebook status during the day, then at lunch on your cell, you can access Facebook and update and check in. This seemed pretty fair to me.