Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Should Photos come With Warning Labels?


I came across this article in the Times yesterday and I thought it might be interesting to post or discuss. It's called Should Photos come with warning labels? and its by a writer for the Times who writes a column daily on ethical issues that have erupted in and around journalism.

Yesterday's article was about the recent controversy around photoshopping images such as the model for Ralph Lauren was. Personally, I think the picture is gross and clearly not real.

Cohen presents both sides of this debate. I have chosen to take the side of people that wish to be informed when a photo has been drastically altered, such as the picture in the inset. He also asks the question where do we draw the line on deceit? My question is : DO WE? I really don't know anymore. Does anyone think that there is a clear line and if not, then should there be and where? Right now, it seems our intelligence is either being insulted by not telling us or they think we won't notice enough to be bothered by it.

No comments: