Thursday, October 29, 2009

White House: "Fox NOT a Real News Organization."

The battle between the White House and FoxNews rages on. Here are two links to blog posts that address the latest--- one from the Swamp and one from the NY Times. Also, click on the embedded video links within them.

I know past presidents such as Bush and Clinton have refused to give interviews to organizations that they deemed the "opponent", however, I think this is the first time that an administration has actually decided to wage war with one and call them out for the Infotainment that they are.

I also love the way the powers that be of Fox and even Murdoch himself try to justify their behavior. Personally, I think it is blatantly obvious to all Americans, even the conservative that watch Fox (or at least most of them), that it is nothing more than a mouthpiece of the right wing, pushing their agenda, regardless of supporting facts. They are no longer watchdogs, they are liars. Come on the tea partiers, the birthers......why push those stories? I don't mind if they dispute adminstration stances but base it on fact. The public deserves to be well informed, with CORRECT information.

My question is how can Fox still be insistent that they are journalists? I think they are PUNDITS! And that's fine but why masquerade as a journalist? It is giving the public a misconception about what a journalist ( a real one) actually is supposed to do. So the bottom line is now we can't tell between a pundit and journalist, the line is being blurred.



3 comments:

Michael Sweeney said...

There's a profound difference between a news station taking a stance, and a news station continually broadcasting propaganda. I don't care what the political stance is - Republican or Democrat - no news organization should be presenting absolutist opinions as empirical truth.

I have to agree that the White House declaring 'war' against a news organization is a grand waste of time. However, in this case, I don't see any wrongdoing as I hardly consider FOX as news.

jkl said...

I agree with Michael that there is a profound difference, but therein lies the problem. Most people I have talked to who actually do watch Fox News (note this is a very small survey considering the number of people I know who do watch it!) do not consider the broadcast to be propaganda. They do consider it to be a valid news source. So continuing to pose as a legitimate journalistic broadcast is a problem. It is always easy to believe people or news when it is reinforcing what you already think, so part of the appeal is just a circular, self-perpetuating phenomenon.

Chanda said...

Whether or not one considers Fox as news does often depend on one's viewpoint. The little that I do see of that news broadcast does seem to appeal to those whose views are in line with what the network is spewing.

I agree, it is a waste of time for the White House to declare "war." We have much bigger problems and the only solution for all this rhetoric is positive action.