Friday, November 13, 2009

Is it News and Why

I find myself constantly clicking on human interest pieces that adorn the CNN.com website. Today, I couldn't help but click on the face of a little boy with the headline "The Odds are Against Little Noah Biorkman making it to Christmas, so strangers are sending him gifts and cards." I instantly felt bad for the little guy, and was heartbroken.

My question is this- Where does this fit into News. Why are we inundated with stories like Noah's? Is it that daily heart-tug we need? Is this exploiting the impending death of this little boy?

Thoughts?

4 comments:

valerie said...

I know these stories are heartbreaking,and not really news.What they  do though is attract viewers.For some strange reason , people are strangely drawn to tragedy.I have to turn it off , it's too sad!

Nicole said...

I think this was a bad attempt at a feel good story i.e. ppl sending him gifts. There are alot of those, and I think its kind of good esp in the mist of all the tragedy and bad news we get daily.

Alex.S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alex.S said...

Yes it is a very sad story, I feel horrible for little Noah and his family.

However not all news is necessarily hard news, I also think there is a place for soft news. Regardless, all news should ultimately have a purpose. What bothers me is that Noah's story isn't newsworthy since it doesn't have a memorable impact. It is simply tragic.

Noah and his parents have not used their story to fundraise for childhood cancer, nor commit to goodwill ambassador work. The story just makes you feel bad.