Monday, November 2, 2009

Implicit Association Test

Since my major is psychology and especially because Dr. Banaji is here at Harvard, we've talked a lot about this test. Even she makes the point that this test does not definitely causally link to real world behavior. In one class, a case was brought up where a prosecutor wanted to use this test to show that a police officer was more likely to shoot the suspect because he was black. However, the creators of the IAT refuse to testify in court (actually will testify against the test being a measure) because this is not what the test is supposed to indicate. Conversely, they say at the same time it should be used to measure when affirmative action can be ended. So does it measure implicit racism or not? They purport it measures bias, but not racism. It measures the knee jerk, evolutionary mechanism in our brain that evolved to protect us from "danger" - anything unfamiliar (animal or a person who looked "different" - historically possibly an enemy), now culturally influenced more than anything since that part of our brain is pretty outmoded. It's something good to be aware of, but as Dr. Banaji says, it can be altered with positive associated imagery. But are we altering the performance on the test or actual bias we are unaware of, causing subtle changes in behavior?? I personally have never been a huge fan of this instrument, but maybe it just needs the kinks worked out. The APA article below states it best - the test is very "noisy."

Good further reading from the Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A27067-2005Jan21?language=printer

Criticism/things to think about from the American Psychological Association:
http://www.apa.org/monitor/2008/07-08/psychometric.html

4 comments:

Crystal Y. said...

I just took the Implicit Association Tests out of curiosity and had some interesting but not too surprising results. Considering my background growing up in a multicultural household (my mother is Malaysian), this is what I got: I slightly prefer Arab Muslims to other people, I have no automatic preferences between African Americans & European Americans, and I have a strong association of Asian American as American.

But is this how I live my life? Not really.

I would have to agree that the Implicit Association Tests should not be used to link real world behavior and unconscious bias. We are human after all and are able to separate our subconscious bias from cognitive decisions.

I think the Implicit Association Tests should be utilized as a tool for personal awareness not as a label maker.

Chanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chanda said...

The thoughts and ideas that form our personal biases are deep-seated. It is detrimental to use this test to predict behavior because this just becomes another form of labeling.

I think the test does have value as an educational tool to increase awareness. Bias does not just happen when members of one race or affiliation view members of another race or affiliation. In particular, monorities often have negative connotations of themselves because of societal images and reinforcements.

Hopefully, this test can create more tolerance and awarness because in the end, it is our actions that matter most.

Michael Sweeney said...

I don't think this test measures prejudice, and it definitely doesn't measure racism. In fact, I don't really think it's a valid tool in any form.

Natural reactions don't equate prejudice. I don't step on my breaks faster for a white person than I do a black person. It's just tapping into very, very deep seeded subconscious understandings of one's own being. Of course I'll react quicker to my own kind. That's the problem - there's a difference between simply identifying with others like myself, and being prejudice toward those whom are different than I.