Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Glen Beck's Conflict of Interest


Glen Beck's Conflict of Interest.

I have no words for this. It is simply self explanatory in my opinion. However, my one question is: How does he get away with this? He makes the entire journalism community look bad, despite, in my opinion, him not being a journalist himself. In fact, I'm not sure exactly what you could refer to Glen Beck as, a pundit perhaps? But do pundits misrepresent themselves as much as he does? Also, with the FTC cracking down on full disclosure for bloggers, I think Glen Beck should watch his step. Maybe they will add him to the list of no-no's.

3 comments:

Crystal Y. said...

It's a blatant conflict of interest ... tantamount to a sports journalist wearing a team jersey at an event they are playing. I would even go as far as to compare this to insider trading.

Shame on Glen Beck.

He also gets away with this because he is on Fox. The "news" outlet that has an impossible to find code of ethics ... I seriously have been looking for it for the better part of the day.

jkl said...

It's so blatant that I wonder if it really can be considered a conflict of interest. His response to the inquiry about his conflict is, "So I shouldn't make money?" Although I do think it is unethical journalism, it makes me wonder if what he is doing should be considered journalism at all (of course, I have always thought it shouldn't be!) But do most people really consider him to be an unbiased journalist? Or more along the lines of a televised columnist? He really is a pundit.

Crystal Y. said...

HAHA Megan .. that is true ... and he is at Fox. I really don't think they are a news organization.

I never watch tv and I can't believe I saw this on the Daily Show - but they caught Sean Hannity using old protest footage from some Glenn Beck rally and passed it off as footage of Rep. Michele Bachmann's much smaller rally.

It's actually quite sickening.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-november-10-2009/sean-hannity-uses-glenn-beck-s-protest-footage